Sunday, July 19, 2009

How Can You Look Into My Eye And Say You Don't Remember Me???


My freshman year of high school was very scary for me. I had gone to parochial schools for my entire life...uniform skirts, white blouses, Nuns, the whole shebang! I would be starting my freshman year at a public school. I only knew about 8 people who were going to be in my class; most of them lived in my neighborhood. And by 'neighborhood' I mean within a mile radius of my house...we lived in the middle of nowhere. All but about 2 of these people were only my 'summer friends' ...you know the type, they are your best friend all summer, but they snub you at school because you're that weird Catholic kid...*I've worked very hard on letting that go!*


Anyway...


The high school I went to is a very small county school; about 130 kids in my freshman class. The elementary, middle, and high school were set up like a campus. The majority of these kids had gone to school together since KINDERGARTEN!!! I was definitely an outsider. To make matters worse...I had been wearing a uniform for 8 years...I have always rocked a plus-size body, and I had NO idea how to dress stylish!


So...


The year was going along, and me and my black Payless high-tops were adjusting (just to set the record straight, this was 1985, Payless was NOT cool. It wasn't until my Sophomore year that I got my coveted high-top Reeboks!). I had made a few new friends, I liked my classes and I was fairly happy. About 1/2 way through the year, a new guy started at my school. For the sake of this post, I'll call him 'Bruce'. Bruce was in my study hall. He was a really nice guy. I was not attracted to him, nor did I ever have a crush on him (I never thought he was very good looking...'cause I'm a freakin' beauty queen ya know!). We had a horrible habit of passing notes to each other in study hall (remember, it was 1985...texting was not invented yet!). We never got caught, mainly because I don't think the teacher gave a rat's ass what we were doing as long as we were quiet. At any rate...every day for 1/2 the school year we wrote back and forth with other.


Fast forward to June 23, 2009...


Facebook. I loves me some Facebook! I have re-connected with soooo many people that I haven't seen, or even thought about, in years. I thought to myself one day last month, 'I wonder if Bruce has a profile on Facebook?' So, I did a search and I found him. The following is our email communication on Facebook:


Me: Did you go to *ruralcountyschool ?

Bruce: Yes, I did.

Me: Wow! You look the same...how have you been? It's been years!

Bruce: Yes it has been a long time. I'm having trouble remembering you. Help me!!

Me: I can't remember if it was 9th or 10th grade...we had study hall together...there was a lot of note-passing involved...A LOT of note passing!!! Oh, and I think my hair was blonde then! lol

Bruce: do you have any pictures from back then? You with blonde hair?

Me: No, not on my computer. You have no clue who I am, do you? lol

Bruce: I can't tell by the pic you have on here.

Me: We had study hall together in one of the classrooms, not the cafeteria, and we passed notes back and forth every day. I feel so unremembered! lol j/k

Bruce: what were our notes about? Did you live close to the mall?

Me: I lived on *Big Hilly Road outside of *Speedtraptown. The notes? I really don't remember! lol I just know we wrote them a lot

Bruce: you need to post a different picture

Me: lol...dont you know how to look thru the albums? I have more on here

Bruce: i tried that the other day and it would not show your pics

Me: ok i changed it.

Bruce: now I can't see anything

Me: hmmmm...weird! i can see it on my homepage but not in the emails.

Bruce: I can see it now

Me: Still no clue? LoL

Bruce:


Yes, that last one was left blank on purpose. He never answered me. How do you not remember your friend from high school? The girl in study hall that you passed notes back and forth with


EVERY


SINGLE


DAY


I am trying very hard not to revert back to that place where I was long ago...feeling faceless and unimportant. It also makes me question how many other friends of mine on Facebook have no clue who the hell I am???


I feel so unremembered...and I am NOT j/k!

4 comments:

  1. I had a guy who thought he dated me. I said no it was not me. He did not even live in the same state. I went on with him for awhile and told him I was not that person. I knew for sure I did not know him. It can be crazy at times..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, that is freaky....maybe he was in a bad car accident a few years ago and his memory of high school was deleted from his brain. I can't imagine you look that different...plus, I mean, I remember passing notes back and forth with a guy in my home ec class and that was back in 1986.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm, Shelli? Bruce is an ASS. Seriously? He hasn't developed the social skills in the last 20 years to be able to even fake that he remembered you? Ew! I read this post and thought, jerk.

    This also furthers my belief that reconnecting with people on Facebook may not be the best idea. In my case, I am finding that those from my past are kind of better off staying there.

    :)

    -Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with 3 Bay B Chicks--when I run into someone and I can't for the life of me remember their name but they obviously know mine, I at least fake it, nod, smile, and pretend. Afterwards I feel horrible, but usually it's a person that I knew only briefly (like a summer job or something). If it was someone that I saw every single day--you bet I remember them.

    ReplyDelete